Controversial human rights activist Boniface Mwangi goes into hiding after receiving death threats

KENYA: Boniface Mwangi has revealed that he received death threats following his damning remarks against Deputy President William Ruto on the death of the late Jacob Juma.

Boniface Mwangi goes into hiding
Mwangi had posted a series of tweets where he accused the DP of being behind the assassination of the late businessman who was also a vocal critic of the Jubilee government. The tweets also painted Ruto as a greedy land grabber and a thief.

According to Mwangi, no sooner did DP Ruto sue him for defamation, than he started to receive threats on his life and that of his family.

That is when he decided to flee to the United States with his wife and children.

“I shared these threats with fellow Human Rights defenders who convinced me to have my family leave the country late last year. I remained behind all the while being followed and monitored by people who were looking for an opportunity to do me harm. I left Kenya for South Africa and when l came back l was still being followed. I was then advised by fellow human rights defenders to leave the country for awhile. I left and took the opportunity to promote my book in the US,” Mwangi says.

Adding: “We were meant to travel back last week, but then I received a frightening warning message: “DO NOT COME HOME: THEY WILL KILL YOU.” To prove the message’s authenticity, my source shared specific details of how they intend to hurt me and my family. It has broken my heart to see my wife cry, almost everyday.”

The award-winning photographer has been in the US promoting his book – Boniface Mwangi Unbounded – but details have emerged of the intricacies surrounding his going there.
Powered by Blogger.